Sunday, October 12, 2008

Winter is here



In case you live in the balmy areas, this is what it looks like on a cold October morning in Idaho. The greenhouse garden has finally surrendered, no more zucchini, sniff sniff. When the temps in October dip like this, it's always a rude shock. Wait--wasn't it just 80 a couple weeks ago? What happened? Now it only gets up to low 50s on sunny days, and nights are frigid: it was 14 degrees last night, 14. Where did the warmth go? I want to follow it, like the birds.
These Pine Siskins came with a flurry of activity to snack on the sunflowers. Looks like a happy family.
Well, I didn't get a good shot of the upside-down antics, their acrobatic tricks would be better to watch in a video.
If I were them, I'd fly south in a hurry.

1 comment:

janet copenhaver said...

14 degrees! Egad, I'm not ready for those temperatures.
The photo's are lovely. I do love the change of season's. Fall happens to be my favorite, so why so short, just doesn't seem fair. :)