Saturday, December 6, 2008

Winter begins on the 22nd

Ugh. Aagh. Haaahghhghchooo.

Even the pine needles are cold.
It's the time of year I dread, the days preceding and following the winter solstice.

Although this is generally a miserable time for me, I have to admit that it may have purpose. As in, without dark there can be no light. Ok, but does it have to be sooo dark?

Every winter I wonder why we live so far from the equator. Why don't we live down there where it's always warm and sunny? The answer is, I'm a glutton for punishment. Yes, but also, wouldn't it be a little boring to have the sun all year? Maybe, but so is winter. I'd probably be happiest in a place where there are four seasons that rotate quickly. Or a place where it's spring most of the year, my favorite season.

For a gardener, winter is a welcome rest. It's time to organize the cupboards (oh boy, that sounds fun), or start a new hobby. People always talk about making plans for the garden in winter, but that doesn't really work for me until spring.
Wild strawberries

So, I've had time to experiment with the camera. I didn't read the manual yet. I decided to just start pushing buttons. I found the manual setting and discovered how to change the aperture or the f-stop or whatever (two photography classes really made a lasting impression, didn't they). Experimentation makes it a lot more fun.

I went around taking pictures of everything outside, and discovered a camera is a great device for getting me out of the house and into the real world. Part of winter's problem for me is that I don't go out enough and I get cabin fever. The camera will give me something to do out there.
Wild rose hips
He follows me everywhere.

This little viola still blooming against a nice warm rock reminded me of somewhere warm and dry and Mediterraneany. That's where I'd be right now if I had a magic wand, in a nice little stone house with a stone walled garden where I'd grow zucchini and tomatoes and green beans and I'd bake out in the sun with them. Then I'd sit on the stone patio at a little round table under the shade of lemon trees or maybe a grape arbor for lunch. No sweater necessary. Aahhh, sounds perfect.

The violas may be covered up in snow tomorrow, if the forecast is correct.

I'm prepared for the deluge this year, with two brand new snow shovels and new snow boots. Last year was a disaster with our broken shovel and none in the stores. I pledge to shovel often and early this year. Or to get someone else to do it for me.
My next post will be about our wonderful trees.

It's 31 degrees, mostly cloudy at 8:45 am.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't need a new hobby yet.

Anonymous said...

Such beautiful photos that capture the season so well. I love the leaves with the frost.

janet copenhaver said...

We're having a winter solstice party, wanna come? I look sooooo forward to the days getting longer, something to celebrate for sure.

Great photos as always! F-stop, heavy sigh.. Think I liked my point and shoot better.

Anonymous said...

i still think your are the best. happy clicking

Gnome said...

Thanks for all the comments! I will keep clicking, as long as there is enough light.