Monday, August 3, 2009

August

A good scratch.
Yes, the mosquitoes are still here. They like Rusty.

Late summer flowers

The new bed is done.

Had some time on my hands...

Rusty's checking out mom's old knot garden, which I planted with moss and herbs. Boy did that bring back memories. Mom, searching for the perfect little plants that were just the right scale...hunting down the best moss, collecting it wherever she went. Remember the little round ones she got from the wall at Whittington Court, T?
I have a lot of "steppables" and plenty of moss to play with. Mom would love all the mosses we have! She'd also love that little silvery thing, (Scabwort), in the center, it has tiny leaves and looks like it could be santolina or sage. I'm not worried about scale, I really like the texture of that hairy moss in the hearts, though it's far too coarse for mom's standards. It's fun to play with, if the transplants don't take, I won't mind starting over.
Next I need to clean out the Oxford garden and replant it with moss. I wonder how the rest of the little gardens are doing?
Veg News
The tomatoes will make it, fingers crossed!
Beans and zucchini are coming out of our ears, yay! Where's that little vegetarian now? She needs to hurry and get home to help us eat all this good green stuff. I harvested the first kohlrabi, it was nice and crisp, despite the hot weather.
The raspberries are growing tall, and have started to flower!
This is an exciting year, gardenwise; everything has fallen into place and works well, finally! The leaves we put on in the fall made a difference, but it also just comes down to time, in two respects. First, we've been here long enough to make it work and figure it out. And second, this summer, unlike other years where I leave for a few weeks, I've spent most of my time devoted to the garden: watering, weeding, fertilizing and covering the greenhouse every night. At this very moment I feel a pull to go out there and check on things. See ya later!

It's 86 degrees, 35% humidity, sunny with a breeze at 1:00 pm.

4 comments:

Dori said...

Your little vegetarian will be home soon! Your garden looks amazing. Good job!!

That's great you're planting the gardens. We haven't been very good about that, but you're inspiring me. I will never forget making the mistake of asking your mom where she finds the moss. I got a withering look in response. She was not giving up that secret! Guess I'll have to look myself.

Gnome said...

Oooo, I know that withering look so well. I have a feeling she was simply trying to remember though. I bet you could find a lot in the dark forests around you, near a creek.

dad said...

what did you do to rustys ear. Its like gone.

Milla said...

I had never in my whole life seen these miniature gardens before coming to this blog. They are absolutely gorgeous! Especially your mother's 'knot garden'.

Congrats on your tomatoes! They look beautiful and round; now they just need a little bit of sun et voila'!