Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Rain?

47 degrees, 12:30 pm. It was supposed to rain yesterday and today, but so far only a light sprinkle has arrived. If it continues like this I'll have to get the hoses out and start watering. The wind is drying everything.
Only 10 days after I took the picture of the emerging daffodils, they are blooming.
So is our little wildflower, the Avalanche Lily.
I transplanted some of the flower starts this morning. Somebody put a lot of Tidy Tips seeds in each peat pot (you know who you are). No one had the heart to thin them. The Black-eyed Susan Vine was planted thickly too. The grow light isn't big enough for all these.
I just stepped outside and found a dead mouse on the welcome mat. Thank you Rusty, but no thank you. He sauntered off, I guess he's full.

There's a long list of things to do this year. I have some ideas. Most of them involve J doing hard work. Like fence building, etc. For starters, there's a problem in the driveway garden. I planted grass seed in it, and now it has taken over.Mild mannered in a lawn, the stuff is unstoppable in the garden and is choking out everything else. It's nearly impossible to pull, so J will have to rototill it. Then there's the problem of the pasture grass I planted all over the bullodozed areas, to combat a knapweed invasion. It's not a very pretty grass, and although it has supplanted the knapweed, it may be death to young trees trying to reforest the area. The only remedy I can come up with is a grass eater, but what kind? Do goats eat grass, or do they just eat rose bushes?

No comments: