Tuesday, August 5, 2008

August

The nights are getting cooler, many of the flowers are done blooming, and the grasshoppers are way way out of control. This is one of the more interesting ones, maybe only because it's rare.
We have green ones, brown ones, yellow, orange, grey, striped, you name it, we've got it. Coconut is partial to the small green ones, but he doesn't even make a small dent in the population. We need those guinea hens now.
I've been cutting stuff back, weeding and deadheading. There are a bunch of empty areas in the flower bed now, which I'm looking forward to filling. I have several things to move and transplant. A mock orange and a river birch that have become deer food, iris, a lilac, lavender, and a few daffodils, plus a rose and two echinaceas I bought.
The bee balm has been suffering from mildew, a serious drawback to that plant.
There are little gourds on the one in the pot, none yet on the one in the ground. The potted tomato had a red one we ate today. The zucchini are still a bit small to eat.
Our internet is so slow, I haven't been able to do much lately, and I don't have time to do the moon signs anymore. I hope we get a faster connection soon.
The mosquitoes are still here.
It's 68 degrees and clear at 8:45 pm.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Idaho's famous potatoes...