Thursday, August 28, 2008

Gathering nuts

It's been raining and cooler the past week. Thinking about firewood and insulating those cold spots. The long winter ahead is just around the corner. Time to get ready for hibernation.

Ok, here's where I go into weirdy territory.

Wow, gnomes read, who knew?

I don't actually know anything about gnomes, except that people put statues of them in their gardens. It was what popped into my head when I had to think of a name to sign my posts with. Y'know, gardens, gnomes, they go together.
Tonight I looked it up in The American Heritage Dictionary:

Gnome (1) n.
1. One of a fabled race of dwarflike creatures who live underground and guard treasure hoards. 2. A shrivelled old man.

Gnome (2) n.
A pithy saying that expresses a general truth or fundamental principle; a maxim, an aphorism. [Greek gnome, intelligence, judgment, maxim, from gignoskein, to know.]

Hmmm. Something to think about. Shriveled old man? Intelligence? Underground treasure guard? I don't know if I can live up to all that. I have to try. I'll spend more time in the sun. I'll read more books. I'll protect the dirt and worms. This is my pledge to America! (oops, been watching too many political speeches.) I will try to be a better gnome, and live down to the name.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you will turn out to be a great gnome.

Anonymous said...

oh. I wonder if gnomes would like Inkheart...

Gnome said...

Thank you Captain. Yes, I think gnomes would like Inkheart, in fact aren't they in it?