Monday, January 26, 2009

The Sun is Back


It was -11 degrees last night. The house was going, Bang! Pop! I was hoping it wasn't a pipe. But we have pex, so not likely. More likely the cells in the wood were exploding because the roof is soaked.

I noticed this morning that the light has changed. It's much brighter, back to normal. Normal for me, I consider the dark days here like something out of the Twilight Zone. And that's exactly how I feel, until the sun returns. Like a zombie out of the TZ. Or perhaps a phantom (that's right, I know about my nickname, you ingrates. See if I ever host another slumber party for you!)

I don't know how people here can stand it year after year! It's like that excellent book, which I read this winter, appropriately, The City of Ember, (thanks to Janeywan, for recommending it). Those poor people down there, they didn't realize they could get out of that dark hole. Am I like those people? Stuck in the dark, when the light is right up above? Except in this case it's below. I could be in Arizona or California in a few days by car, or a few hours by plane. Go go go! But then I'd have to come back...which would be a total huge tremendous bummer, causing a massive humongous gigantic plunge into a depression so deep, I'll be cursing my time in the sun. So I'd better just stay here and enjoy cold sunny days and the (sssllllloooooooooooooooowwwwwwww) coming of spring.

My beautiful bouquet



Just what makes that little old ant...


The precious balls Sharky, one of our few remaining pets.Slammy took me out for a walk yesterday and that raised my spirits considerably. She has promised to be my personal trainer. Vitamin D supplements help too, to brighten the mood. The daily recommended amount has shot way up. If you can't have the real thing, then you just have to fake it.

Speaking of faking it, have y'all seen The Secret on DVD? It's a great pick me up as well, and a challenge to your imaginative powers. I just saw it last week. I've heard the same concept in different form, but always enjoy hearing it again. I'm a firm believer in our power to manifest whatever it is we want. And in feeling good. Not that I'm naturally inclined to practice it, but I'm working on it with a new fervor. Why not feel good? My programming seems to make me suspicious of joy. Time to throw out that program.

We saw August Rush this week also, which I was fearing would be a hopelessly corny and sad tragedy. But it was really a happy little allegory about manifesting what you want, so that's kind of weird. Funny how they came up in the Netflix queue at the same time...

Right now I'm busy manifesting my new swimming pool, so I'll check in later and let you know how that's coming along.

Until then, it's 15 degrees and sunny at 1:00 pm.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

As we age it is harder for us to absorb Vitamin D, So a supplement is a really good idea! Love the photo of the balls, how sweet to see them!

Love, Tige

janet copenhaver said...

I just finished another good book you might enjoy "The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins. It's a fast read, keeps you glued to it till the end. We've got the gloomy weather and fridge temps to go with it. Not supposed to last for long. I was getting use to spring like weather we had last week. I think it hit 70ยบ one day. Can't wait for spring to arrive for good.

Your flowers photos are beautiful and I'm sure they gave you a little pick you up!

I had a Sharky until I killed him and his buddies trying to cure them of ick. (Bad math) No more Sharky's for me.

Anonymous said...

So glad the world is getting sunnier up there! I have seen that movie The Secret. A little cheesy, but interesting, and I do believe it to a certain degree. I've been visualizing the swimming pool dream for quite a while too. *drumming fingers*

Hugs to y'all!

Dori

Gnome said...

Don't give up! Keep the faith!

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, the ballz! Can we play toss with them now that mom's not here??