Sunday, September 14, 2008

A Diet Without Donuts?

I'm reading a book that's been out since 1996 called Eat Right for Your Type, by Peter J. D'Adamo. It's fascinating! It's all about blood types and how they determine what you should eat.

I'm willing to give it a go because it says, as a type O, I should eat red meat, fish, vegetables and fruits, and no lentils! I know I've talked them up before, but they aren't very good, are they? Sadly, no donuts, no wheat flour, no dairy, no pork, no potatoes. But I already knew those were bad for me. And apparently the Ezekial sprouted grain bread is ok. I tried it and it's actually very tasty.

So now we have to get everyone in the family tested to see what blood types we have, (so I can torture them with this new diet). I really hope the Js are not type As, because As are supposed to be vegetarians. Maybe that's why that book The China Study found meat protein to be detrimental, because in China most people are type A or B! Not me, I'm a carnivore, grrrrr.

I was amazed at how many of the foods I don't like are on my do not eat list. You know those things you have to kind of force down? And your mouth is like, uh, do I have to? No surprise that papayas are good for Os, but not for some other types, you either love 'em or hate 'em.

Peter D'Adamo, a Naturopathic doctor, has a blog too. In one of his posts he talks about Dr. Andrew Weil trying to discredit him. I never liked Dr. Weil, or his advice. He's a "holistic doctor." But usually he sounds like a regular old doctor with some new tricks. Anyway, I go to a Naturopath for my healthcare and I trust them. Their guiding principle is "First, do no harm." Regular doctors don't try to get at root causes, they just try to get rid of symptoms with drugs. I'm going to see my N.D. tomorrow and hear the results of my blood tests. Oh dear...

I'll ask the doc what she thinks of my new pet book.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been a BT'er for many years and just switched to the Genotype diet ( book came out in January 2008) also by Dr. Peter D'Adamo.

Welcome!

A Blood typing kit for at home use can be ordered or you can donate blood and they will give you a card with your blood type on it.
Don't overlook your secretor status. Dr. D talks about that more in his follow up book Live Right for Your Type.
Hope to see you on the Chat forum.
Andrea Warrior BT A Secretor

Gnome said...

Wow, how did you find this, Andrea? Thanks for the welcome, I'll check out the new book.

Anonymous said...

Ima type A+! NO mor nitpicking my diet thank you very much.