Friday, April 24, 2009

Lake Dreams


I took a drive to the end of the lake road a few days ago when the weather was perfect.  I parked the car and walked down the logging road that continues after the paved section ends.  I couldn't see the lake from this road but I knew it was off to the left somewhere.  After a bit of walking, (and a bit of imagining mountain lions lurking in the trees, waiting for me to hobble or look weak), a gravel road appeared on the left with a log across it.  Naturally, I went in.  I discovered a magical place down there.

A marsh!
The moment I came in view of it, there was a cacophony of sound from frogs, toads, ducks, geese, birds, and squirrels.  This place is alive! 

Next to the marsh, was the lake proper.  Stunning!  This is why I must get a little boat this summer.

All around was a forest of cedar, firs and pines that were huge and lush because they get plenty of water.  Some big trees had been cut recently, and there was a site cleared for a house.  I had thought maybe the gravel road was for a new nature preserve, but no.  It's for a millionaire's vacation home.  Single tear.

Here are some of the animals I saw:

Red Squirrel (doesn't look very red, does it?)
Columbian Ground Squirrel, guarding his den.
Canada Geese (these were making a racket and trying to hide from me).
Wood Duck
And mate.
Great Blue Heron
He just stood there.

What a place!  I was probably trespassing, but I didn't care.  The house will go up soon.  What will the animals think of that?  Maybe the geese will poop all over their lawn.  Divine justice.

6 comments:

dad said...

I'm so glad we love each other. I would hate to be a stranger and get on your bad side

janet copenhaver said...

Oh my god that is beautiful. WATER within walking distance, must be nice. Really a house is going up? I say the same things but then I remember we built a place too. Guess that's why they neighbors don't like us and the reason we don't like our neighbor here in Denver!

janet copenhaver said...

Silly me I see that you did have to drive a bit.

Milla said...

ahahahaahahha I love your 'divine justice'!! That's so brilliant.

A bit like my 'Karma' experience the other week :-D

slammy said...

NOw you have to take me .

Gnome said...

I will, if your schedule permits.