Monday, May 11, 2009

It's May!

Happy May everyone!  A busy time of year, too busy to keep up on the blog.  It's so nice to be outside again.  In comparison, it seems like a chore to sit at the computer desk.  But I need to keep track of all the progress that's been going on out there.  It's raining  today, so it's a good time to get up to date.

Early May was pretty windy.  We had a frightening thunder storm, it seemed to be sitting right over the house one night.  We've had very cold windy days, and some warmer sunny periods.  The clouds are always up there, puffy and white and so perfect in the blue sky.  When they cover the sun, the temperature goes down dramatically.

The grass likes this weather, I've already mowed a few times.  I just got some grass shears, so I can do the edging around the garden without a weed whacker.  Not that I ever used a weed whacker myself.  I use a manual push mower and grass shears and it's so much nicer than using those loud, dangerous machines.

The peas, radishes, and other stuff came up in the greenhouse.  I made a little climbing structure for the peas with twigs and twine.  I (bravely) planted the tomatoes out there about a week ago, and planted zucchini and bean seeds on Saturday May 9.  Ooooo, that's early.  I set out some flower transplants outside in the garden, most of them are perishing from the cold.  Better wait till June.
  I had to refill this birdfeeder once so far.  The bags are working, I'm glad to know.  Except, look who found it.  I don't mind, I like watching squirrels as much as birds.  There's also a nestbox in this tree and he was sitting by it while a bluebird and some other birds drove him off.

Rusty was looking with us out the window, making those weird noises and licking his chops.
The wildflowers are starting to bloom, here's the Arrowhead Balsamroot, nearly ready.  It's blooming around the neighborhood already.  It is colder here at our house, I knew it.

Here's one I don't know the name of, I'll have to get a library book.
This one has a hitchhiker.
The violets and some willows are also blooming.

Birds are waiting for better weather, I think, to start nesting.  We now have five boxes up but no takers.  Bluebirds and Tree Swallows come to look sometimes.  I hope Rusty hasn't scared them off.  The hummingbirds are back and they are at the feeder a lot, since there aren't many flowers out there.  We have some Towhee visitors frequently, I'm still trying to get a good picture.  The crows are coming around more, making their strange noises.  I don't know what they're after, though Snoodly thinks it's him.  A foggy morning and two crows on a branch outside your bedroom window is pretty spooky.  And noisy.  

It's raining and 49 degrees at 12:00 pm.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is May and things are finally getting green.
We planted pepper and tomatoes this weekend and only a few survived! Hubby thinks to much nitrogen in the soil. I haven't a clue what happened.
I do know I didn't plant all my tomato plants thank heavens. Need to find a new location I guess, or add something to neutralize the soil.

Those squirrels would be dead squirrels at our place. They've stripped the bark off several of our trees and that's a no no for Mr. Squirrel killer.

I'm not one bit happy about them being destructive or hubby knocking them off!

janeywan

Milla said...

The pictures are stunning, especially the ones with the squirrel.
I can imagine how busy you can be when spring comes, that you have a greenhouse to look after, lots of grass to cut, the general maintenance of your surroundings. AND your family to look after.
It's hard enough for me that I have a tiny garden (with no greenhouse) and a cat only!

This year it is the first year we haven't planted tomoatoes. Apart from the fact that Zorro is no longer around to look after them, last year the plants caught a bug which made the tomatoes turn black before they were ripe: so much work for nothing! The same thing happened with my neighbour's tomatoes.

SLAMMY said...

HE HE SQUIRLY SQUIRLY