Sunday, May 17, 2009

Koo Koo Ka Choo

May flower

Arrowleaf Balsamroot

Yesterday I built a little fence to block the view of the electrical box.  (Looking at this box from the kitchen window has been such a thorn in my side, there are so many things to consider when building a house!  I didn't even realize our view was being spoiled until it was too late).

Now, you may laugh at the crudity of this effort.  I'm not in the habit of building stuff.  This is a big step for me.  It's held together with twine.  Very low tech.  But J will make it sturdier with his power tool expertise.  Then I will try and grow something on it, that the deer don't like of course. This is on their smorgasbord route, and I'm sure they'd love it if I planted beans or sunflowers here.  They'd eat everything then knock down the fence to spite me.  What's that poisonous climbing bean called?  Castor?  I need some of those seeds.

I'm still trying to figure out where to plant some sunflowers.  Without a fence they'll get chomped for sure.  Maybe I should prepare a little field of them with an electric fence around it.  I've got electricity right there at the box...Heh heh, heh heh, zap!

It's warm today!  I prepared the fenced garden for planting raspberries and ?.  The race is on for growing as much as we can as quickly as possible before the end of the season come September. Or we could just lounge around in lawn chairs and go shop at the Farmer's Market... 

5 comments:

mimimom said...

Nice fence! It has that 1st century feel to it . . .so authentic.

Gnome said...

1st century BC or AD?

This Eclectic Life said...

lounging in chairs...I like that! Then you can just enjoy watching the deer...as they pulverize what you planted. I kinda like your "low tech" fence. Hope the deer don't!

huby said...

you are one sick pupy

Milla said...

Good for you that you can build something, and something that looks good (even now that it is not covered by plants) and is useful.
I am completely useless at making things, and I have always been like that. Zorro taught me the basics of DIY but it all is beyond me...

Every time I read about your problems with the forest animals eating your produce, I think about our own problems with the foxes in London. Hm, that will be a post for my own blog.