Friday, February 27, 2009

The Day Before The Day After Tomorrow


I'm reading The Prophet of Yonwood, by Jeanne DuPrau, third in the Ember series. While I love disaster and end of the world type books and movies, I'm wondering now if maybe they're a bad thing. Sometimes science fiction becomes fact, so if you want the future to be good, maybe you should write it that way. Are we getting too used to the idea of robots taking over the world, nuclear apocalypse and other self-inflicted destruction? I love these scenarios in movies, so I can say, "See, I told you, you jerks, you're gonna ruin it all!" But I certainly don't really want that to happen.

Now that we have a new President, it may be time for a break from the doom and gloom. We should start to make stories about how a miracle is going to get us out of this mess and everything will be great. And then maybe that will happen...it beats the alternative, making stories about the end of the world, and that happenning.

How about aliens land on earth and fix everything for us and then leave, (I've started my own story about this one). Or a bacteria that feeds on mean people's brains wipes them all out and then the rest of us can live in peace. Or here's my favorite, the animals revolt and take over the world, and allow us to live if we're good and don't overpopulate the world again and hog all the resources.

All you writers out there, take note: It's up to you to create the future, get busy! Because I don't want to wake up one morning to The Day After Tomorrow. That was a really bad movie.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah well lets face it: no one wants to read about teddy bears and rainbows...

Anonymous said...

The Aliens are too smart to come here. Look how we trashed our planet. They would worry about us getting our grubby destructive hands on their planet!

Tige

Gnome said...

Slammy, you have a point. Tige, Oh you cynic! But also, you have a point.

Anonymous said...

The bacteria eating the mean people's brains would be great.

I really like this concept. They're always saying we create our own reality, so what are we doing writing all these doomsday scenarios?

Someone can take this idea and run: the invasion of the teddy bears who shoot poison rainbows that transform mean people into cuddling squirrels

Gnome said...

Ha ha! I love that idea!