Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The Return



My Spring Robin is back. See, I told you spring was coming. First the snow began to melt over the septic tank area (a sure sign), then the rains came. Now this guy is here. It's conclusive. Pay no attention to that white stuff behind the Robin, it's not snow, NO, it can't be.

Last year I saw the first Robin on March 10, but it was also in the 50s that day, imagine, 50s, how nice.

I got a bunch of garden books at the library yesterday. I really like John Brookes, who I mentioned before, and got another one of his, called Garden Masterclass. He has great photographs and a wonderful eye. He relies on nature for inspiration a lot more than other garden designers. Exactly what I'd like to do. Now I just have to figure out how. It's not as easy as it sounds. You need to study natural forms and landscapes around you and keep your garden in harmony with them and kind of flowing with them.
Dagnabbit, all this grass has to go! We live in a forest! Well, some of it has to go. I do love grass, and the goats will like it too. They'll also like the rose bushes, the fruit trees, the flowers, the vegetables...
It's 40 degrees, overcast at 10:15 am.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it when the robin's return, don't you? I haven't seen on yet, but I saw one of the lizards who inhabit the yard out today. Tomorrow it will be freezing again, so I hope he goes and hides. Texas weather---it's schizophrenic!

Slammy said...

Cheer up Charlie! Cheer up!