Thursday, May 29, 2008

The box mystery


Yesterday morning I found the box like this. Something had moved the blanket, rocks and all and dug two holes. The prints point to a cat or dog culprit. The box smelled like a musky wild animal too. Rusty investigates...


Tons of these flies were on the underside of the blanket, keeping warm. Coconut had about five of them and then he was full. The bugs have come out in force now, and that means the mosquitoes are back. Someone told me to use Listerine as a repellent. I tried it last night and it worked a bit, but I think I need to spray on a lot more. Those skeeters are hungry. There are a lot of mosquito hawks around too, so that must be helping.

This young Crossbill was sitting in the box (what is it about that box?) We thought he was a Rusty victim, but after being picked up, he flew into the tree. Jr. fed him some sunflower seeds, then he couldn't resist...he had to hold it. After that it flew away.This morning at 5:30 I walked around outside the house and saw a young moose. It walked off when it saw me, but not far. I saw it eating Saskatoon (Service) berry in the forest. I wonder where mom is.


Yesterday was beautiful again, warm and sunny. I finally planted the tomatoes and some lettuce, herbs and flowers. Those wall-o-waters are a pain unless you have someone helping you. I was having quite a time, water spilling out, tomatoes getting mangled. Jr. came to my rescue and held them open so I could put the maters in. It was really hot inside those things, I can see why they work. I ran out of places for the tomatoes, so I put two in hanging baskets. Maybe they'll be safe up there.

Kiki the cat is missing. Where are you Kiki? Rusty misses you.

It's 57 degrees at 8:00 am, cloudy, looks like rain.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a cute little birdy! :)