Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day!

Hi Mom,

Thanks for planting snapdragons in your garden. I loved opening and closing them. Remember the first garden, down below the house? I used to sit by you while you worked, and you showed me how to put in transplants, lightly firming the soil, but not pressing down too hard. I remember eating the flowers off the broccoli in that garden, and getting stung on my pinky finger by a bee, trying to catch butterflies. I also remember the sound the plantain seed heads made on our sneakers as we walked down to the garden together. Those were the best days, Mama. Thank you for them, and for making me a gardener.

2 comments:

Dori said...

Awww. That's really beautiful Gnome. Your bro will love this post.

He was trying to talk me into cooking some overripe bananas the other day..."They're plantains! The lady detective eats them!"

Maybe that's a childhood thing? Did you grow plantains?

Gnome said...

It was a weed, which I will post a picture of if I can I find one. Is the lady detective Mma Ramotswe?