Friday, May 16, 2008

Happy days are here again

It's lawn chair weather, baby! So what am I doing on the computer?

Just a few things to report:

Trees are sprouting leaves and everything has begun to grow very quickly. The Crabapple is about to bloom.
The hummingbirds have been here constantly (except when I bring out the camera of course). I think this is a Rufous, it has gorgeous bright sparkly red on its throat. The book says he's the most aggressive of all hummers. He doesn't like to share the feeder, that's for sure.
While down at the electrical box, watering the new tree, I found this little one, under that shrub that I can't remember the name of. The shrub is semi-alive, but this tree will be fine, and in about 20 years it will hide the box for sure...

Another baby, a grasshopper. That's how big they are at this time of year. Not really worth Coconut's trouble.
Kiki is up to her old tricks, digging in the sand in the path and leaving things you don't want to step in. So Rusty is trying to teach her a lesson here, stay off the path!
I have to plant the rest of the potatoes soon because they're sprouting. I don't know what the astrological omens are today, but the moon is waxing,(between the new moon and the full moon), so that's supposed to be good for planting above ground crops. Root crops like potatoes should be planted when the moon is waning, (after the full moon and before the new moon). The gardening almanacs tell you all that stuff, but I didn't buy one this year. I've tried the method in the past, and can't say I've noticed any dramatic results. Maybe I'll get one of our resident scientists to perform an experiment on it this year. That last experiment with paint balls sitting in cups of different liquids was very interesting, but the practical applications were somewhat limited...


It's 72 degrees and sunny at 12:30 pm.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The moon is so... "mystical."