Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Potatoes

The fortress.I planted the redgold potatoes today, plus the cabbage, bok choi and onions. The potatoes were sprouting in the bag. It was nice and warm outside, 60s and 70s.

My little blue friend was out there keeping me company, and J got this great shot of him.I grew potatoes a couple of years ago and I remember that they got burned by the frost. They managed to recover. Then they got eaten by the moose. I thought potato leaves were toxic so I didn't worry about planting them out in the open. They started disappearing at night, and the moose droppings gave away the culprit. One day I went out to the potato patch and found more missing plants, and a pile of, well, it looked like someone had an upset stomach. I guess they are toxic. But I'm not taking any chances with experimenting moose this time. This time they go inside the fortress.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Are the blue bird making a nest?