Friday, June 6, 2008

Forecast: More rain

The rain will be good for the trees and plants. But it's getting a bit chilly and I'm starting to wonder what happened to summer. All week it's supposed to rain...more 'shrooms on the way. I did a report on mushrooms in 7th(?) grade with pictures I took up in Bonny Doon, shroomland. I wish I still had it, maybe then I could identify these. Or I could just pick up Mushrooms Demystified by David Arora again.






Here's a recipe I like with Shiitake mushrooms in it.

Spicy Lentils

1 Tbsp. Olive oil
1/4 cup minced shallots or green onions
2 Tbsp. minced garlic
1/3 cup each diced carrots and celery
1/2 cup chopped shiitake mushrooms
3 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
1 Tbsp. (or to taste) canned chipotle chiles in adobo, minced
1 cup lentils
3 cups water or stock
salt and pepper to taste.

Saute oil and vegies slowly until soft but not brown. Add vinegar and chiles, raise heat and stir until liquid is reduced by half. Add lentils and water/stock. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Cook 20 minutes till lentils are tender but not mushy, add more liquid if necessary. Season to taste and serve.
Recipe credit: John Ash, as presented at the April 2008 Healthy Kitchens, Healthy Lives Conference.

Partly cloudy, 52 degrees at 10:00.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your spicy lentals they are pretty good. Nice and spicy!

Dori said...

I'm going to try that recipe out on your brother. He always mopes and groans when I make lentils, but he likes anything spicy. Maybe with the right recipe he will change his tune about lentils, because I love them.

Gnome said...

Oh, I hadn't seen this when I called yesterday! I would've mentioned that you should add more chipotles if you want it spicy, try 3 Tbsp. and increase if you dare.