Monday, June 9, 2008

School's out!!!

Mariposa lily

Now we have time to do more important things. The new camera is very popular. I haven't had to take pictures for a few days. In fact I can barely get my hands on it. But that's ok, if it encourages an interest in something so worthwhile. And the results are worth it too.
We went for a walk on the forest trail yesterday. Our bickering scared off most of the wild beasts, but we saw lots of flowers and a few butterflies. Jr. found out how hard it is to take pictures of them. Good job, Jr.! I haven't seen many butterflies at home, I think the birds are eating them all. Rusty likes them too, though they make him sick.
We had a fiery sunset the other night that was also captured by Jr.
Now it's your turn, Slammy.

I've been negligent in my gardening duties. I missed the opportunity to plant when the moon was in Cancer on the 5th because I wasn't feeling well. That's the problem with this moon business. Now I'm supposed to wait till the 11th and 12th, for Libra. This weekend the moon will be in Scorpio, a very good planting sign, and the weather is supposed to improve as well. We'll see what I accomplish.

Here's a list of tasks:

  • Set out all transplants.
  • Set up wall-o-waters with tomatoes and squash inside.
  • Plant flower seeds.
  • Move chicken manure to garden. Add other soil ammendments.
  • Plant hydrangea, lily and honeysuckle.
  • Plant hanging basket.
  • Finish the hoop greenhouse. Plant it with squash, cucumbers, beans, basil, tomatoes and maybe a pumpkin, in honor of Mma Ramotswe. I've never tried boiling chunks of pumpkin and eating it with dinner. I wonder if her pumpkins are the same as ours. Will my frame become more "traditional" if I eat pumpkin every night?

In case you're wondering what I'm talking about, just pick up The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, by Alexander McCall Smith, at your local library. Make sure you start at the beginning, as it's an ongoing series. Soon you too will be drinking bush tea and maybe even eating pumpkins for dinner.

Speaking of books, I'm still reading J. Houston's, and just finished the chapter about his ancestors. I love the part when he's visiting his "aging cousin thrice removed" in Tennessee. The eighty year old cousin is pressing jars of home grown produce on him and the author protests that he has limited space in his luggage. But the old man won't take no for an answer. I would love to have a relative like him, to hang out with and learn everything he knows about farming and canning. I wonder if he passed on his knowledge to the next generation.

Sticky geranium

It's 54 degrees, cloudy at 9:00 am.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You took a walk. Did you acomplish anything else on the walk? like deciding who can be David?

Dori said...

Huh?? Who's David?

Nice photos!! What kind of camera did you get? That blue butterfly is so pretty.

I wondered about eating pumpkins like that too. Hard to imagine it would be that good, but I'm interested to hear what you think. I heard deer don't eat pumpkins, but probably gophers do.

Gnome said...

David is a character in Slammy's movie, who we haven't found an actor to play yet. Anyone out there want to be in a movie?
We got a Canon powershot S5 IS from Costco.com and they throw in a free 2 gb SD card! It takes movies too, so it will be used to film The Last Bout, Slammy's movie.

Anonymous said...

Jr. is a very impressive photographer. I think he has a good future in photography.

Dori said...

First she writes a novel, and now a movie? What kind of child prodigy is this?