Thursday, June 26, 2008

Still cool and pleasant

First strawberry

They like the little herb garden with the rock mulch. Actually, rock soil is more like it. The mint, lavender, thyme and oregano like it too. Why not use rocks as a thick mulch always? We sure have enough to spare. Use what you have keeps proving to be the answer to all my gardening needs, but my brain hasn't quite got the message yet.


Well, J did use the old chicken coop door for the greenhouse, and the old posts, and the old wire...
and I used the old manure, compost, and sand. We're building up our collection of old stuff.
But I'm trying a new soaker hose (not labeled for sale in California) for watering. I got everything planted yesterday during Pisces, so now I feel better.
I thought of one problem. Pollination. If insects don't make it in, I'll do it myself! (said the Little Red Hen).
Up and almost operational. Minus the filter pump and chemicals. Albeit a rip in the cover and a pinhole in the side...
It's windy and dry, and 90s are in the forecast coming soon. The water in the pool is still too cold for swimming. Soon there will be a little fish in there, swimming day and night.

Wildflowers in bloom: Spiraea, Oxeye daisy, Yarrow, Mariposa lily, Nootka rose.
The hairy flowers of Spiraea.



This is a wild rose by the driveway that looks like a mini. The flowers are small, dark pink and the leaves are small.

I'm taking Polemonium off my favorites list. I planted it by the back door and it smells like dog wee wee. Nice way to greet visitors! It's pretty, but it's coming out.
It's 63 degrees, sunny and windy at 10:30 am.

No comments: