Monday, June 23, 2008

Summertime

Rustybell Watching a particularly interesting bird specimen.
I had to put bells on Rusty to keep him from catching birds. He caught a Robin yesterday, and both he and it were wet, so it must have been a birdbath ambush.

I love the Blue flax, it's doing so well this year. All that snow and rain really made a difference. Little itty bitty baby fir trees are popping up everywhere. The mature trees have lots of new green growth and the grass and wildflowers are profuse. So is the knapweed. More on that later...
The wild roses are blooming too. The beetle was a striking iridescent blue-green. I didn't even see the two spiders while taking the pictures.


The bluebird caught something beetle-ish to feed his babies.

Looks tasty doesn't it?

The hoop house is ready for planting, I'm just waiting for Pisces. It's a bit late in the season, but the protection will keep everything going well into October I think...if not, it's another exercise in futility. But it's the process, the process...

Things in the fortress vegie garden are not doing well at all. It looks like everything is suffering from cold. The nights are so chilly. I need to get more frost blankets, and some soaker hoses, for the hoop house...I feel a trip to town coming on.

One exception is the potatoes, which finally emerged from the straw and are growing well.


Fuzzy wuzzyIt's 68 degrees at 10:45 am, sunny and light wind.

2 comments:

janet copenhaver said...

Love the bumble bee photo! Your picture remind me of Westcliffe, only tons greener.

No went yesterday to some gals place that said she had bull snakes, only found one baby garden snake. I don't think she knows what a bull snake is.

Dori said...

Wow, that last picture of the bee is really striking.