Thursday, March 5, 2009

The Long Goodbye

Sometimes winter just doesn't know when to leave.  Though technically, it still has every right to be here until the 20th, which is the Vernal Equinox this year.
The winter poll told me that most people read in winter, and a few go quietly mad.  Watching TV just makes me go noisily mad, so I try to limit that.  We did enjoy Hercule Poirot on Netflix all winter, and a few movies.  The ones I like best are the oldies like Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House, and The Thin Man series.  So we rented more Cary Grant, William Powell and Myrna Loy films, which are nearly always good.  

We liked Ghost Town, which came out last year, but most new movies are a disappointment.  We just saw Coraline and it was interesting, but the villain and the storyline were way too predictable and stale for me.  We did like Wall-E, even if it was rather chilling.  Brrrrr!  I need warmth and humor and sunshine in winter, not visions of horror and devastation and piles of trash.  Robot love does not warm my heart.  But as a cautionary tale, it was a hit.  

Speaking of trash, we went to the new transfer station yesterday to recycle.  It was neat and clean and easy, with separate shiny bins for cans, plastic and paper for your sorting pleasure.  I will be returning often.  I never thought I could love a dump, but this one is special.  They take all plastic, except #6!  I think I may write them a love note.

1 comment:

Milla said...

It is still snowing like this in the mountain village on the Dolomites where I am originally from. Every time I talk to my mum on the 'phone she says, 'I'm fed up! I'm fed up with all the snow! I want spring!'